Saint-Gobain Gypsum International Trophy
From its origins in Paris to today, the Gypsum Trophy honors those craftsmen who use Gyproc solutions in sustainability, comfort, safety, aesthetics, and modularity to make the world a better home. Participants received extra points for using other Saint-Gobain high-performance products and solutions. The competition offers an opportunity for both peer recognition and the promotion of craftsmanship in the national and international building community.
Saint-Gobain Africa recently held its National Gypsum Trophy event in Johannesburg. They celebrated contractors’ artisanship using Gyproc Drywall systems in their construction projects, forming part of the international event held in Greece in 2023.
The International Gypsum Trophy is a two-stage competition:
First, it showcases Saint-Gobain’s excellence and innovation in using sustainable and lightweight plasterboard systems and plasters by the best contractors.
1. National Trophy Competition
The Saint-Gobain Local leader manages them in each country for local contractors.
2. International Trophy Competition
The Saint-Gobain International Gypsum Trophy team manages them for winners of the National Trophies.
What were the participating projects in this year’s National Trophy event?
The competition comprised plasterboard or plastering contractors or professionals specializing in the tradition of plastering or drywall systems. For the National stage of the Gypsum Trophy event, the following participating projects included:
- ACP- Alister Rain, South African Biomedical Research Institute (CapeTown)
- Ambient Contracting Service (Pty) Ltd, Netcare Alberton Hospital (Jhb), and Leroy Marlin-Fourways (Jhb)
- Tekweni Centurion Ceilings and Partitions (Pty) Ltd, CintoCare Hospital (Pretoria)
- Fast Track Contracting (Pty) Ltd, The Raddison Red Hotel
- Ciel Wall KMH, D-School
Shortlisted participants brought their best solutions forward, making it difficult for the jury to decide on the winning project.
The Members of the Jury included:
- Brett Caudwell (National Sales Manager GI)
- Atisha Gopichund-Lutchman (Director: Techno Marketing & SG Solutions)
- Damien Peyrelongue (Managing Director: Gyproc & Isover)
- Sanji Perumal (Head of Legal Southern Africa)
- Nico Jonker (Research and Development Manager)
- Anton Marais (Head of Product-Gyproc)
- Samukelisiwe Mkhize (Saint-Gobain Academy Manager)
- Faan Nel (Director - Arca Unlimited)
- Graham Wood (Editor: Leading Architecture + Design)
- Sikhubuzo ‘Skrua’ Mtembu (President –South African Institute of Architecture KZN)
The CintoCare Hospital in Pretoria won the award, which was awarded the 5-Star Green Star Custom Healthcare Design Rating, making it the 1st Healthcare Facility in Africa recognized for its sustainable achievement. In addition, the upmarket Radisson Red Hotel in Johannesburg was awarded a 5-star Green Star rating for its design and construction.
Saint-Gobain Africa congratulates Bongane Msiza as the winning project manager; he and the contractors will be representing South Africa in the International Gypsum Trophy event hosted in Greece in 2023 by the Saint-Gobain group. We also commend the main contractors, Fast Tracking Contracting (Pty) Ltd and @Tekweni Centurion Ceiling & Partitions (Pty) Ltd, and the architects, @DHK Architects, and @A3 Architects.
For more information about the awards, please visit https://www.saint-gobain-gypsum-trophy.com/.