Saint-Gobain YouthBuild Academy
Saint-Gobain Gyproc in partnership with YouthBuild International have partnered together to address the critical skills shortage and high youth unemployment rate in South Africa.
National Certificate: Ceiling and Partitioning Installation SAQA ID: 58247
Saint-Gobain Gyproc in partnership with YouthBuild International have come together to address the critical skills shortage and high youth unemployment rate in South-Africa. Once a learner has been selected by the Academy, they are required to achieve competency in 130 credits.
The programme is a 12-month full time learnership, to to enable all youth to meet the following outcomes:
- Plan for the installation of ceilings and partitions using Saint-Gobain products.
- Work according to drawings, specifications and building standards relating to installation of ceiling and partitioning.
- Install 4 different types of standard ceilings.
- Install partitions.
- Install specialized ceilings.
- Apply safety, health, environmental and quality procedures to installations.
- Start and run their own construction/installation enterprise.
Set of Learnership Requirements:
- This is a youth initiative and therefore we encourage students between the ages of 18-29
- Applicants should have a Grade 12 senior certificate with English and Mathematics
- Applicants with a tertiary certificate or at least 1 year of experience in any area of Carpentry or Construction will be preferred.
- Applicants who do not have their senior certificate but who have at least 2 years’ experience in the construction industry will be considered.
- Must be able to read and write English
- Must be able to do basic mathematics and measurement.
Ceiling & Drywall Installers Trained
Learners Who Graduated from Academy
More About The Academy
Students undergo a series of interviews and checks to establish if they meet the criteria required by the South African Sector Education and Training Authority (SETA) for the construction industry.
Saint-Gobain Academy is the only Academy in South Africa to offer this qualification. The qualification is made up of core, fundamental and elective unit standards.
The Academy is underpinned by Community Asset Building (CAB) where students spend a portion of their time in practical, hands-on work, repairing or building tangible community assets such as social housing, community centres, schools, creches playgrounds and ‘green’ infrastructure, all of which reinforces the skills training.
The learners gain experience and uplift their communities in the process. During the year they complete formative assessments to monitor their progress.
At the end of the year they take summative assessments, which are their trade tests/exams. Once these are completed, an external moderator from the Construction SETA will evaluate their PoE (Portfolio of Evidence) and submit a report for accreditation. On exit, the students enter into a six-month aftercare phase where YouthBuild International assists them with career guidance and meets with them regularly to monitor progress.
With Saint-Gobain as a founding member of the Green Building Council of South Africa (GBCSA) the curriculum includes training where students can receive a “Green Star for Contractors” certificate.
The objective at Saint-Gobain is to create sustainable employment for young people, so they are assisted with placements or setting up their own businesses.
For More Information, Contact: SSALEARNING@SAINT-GOBAIN.COM