Highlights - The Gypsum Story - by Gyproc, a division of Saint-Gobain
The story behind the gypsum activity of Saint-Gobain began almost 100 years ago when British Plaster Board (BPB) Limited opened the first plasterboard plant in the United Kingdom. Aided by increasing demand for fast construction techniques during World War II and with the acquisition of its large rival, Gyproc Products Limited, BPB grew quickly in the UK and soon started to set its sights abroad.
It invested in South Africa first, followed by Europe, where it purchased Placoplatre, pioneer of the plasterboard in France since 1947. The company continued its expansion in North America - with the acquisition of CertainTeed - and the Nordic countries. In 1987, BPB bought Rigips, a well-known brand in Austria, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands, and proceeded with acquisitions in Scandinavia and Belgium, until Saint-Gobain took over BPB in 2005.
Since then, the Saint-Gobain Group has continuously been expanding and exploring new territories, to become the successful global business recognisable today.
The Group maintains five distinct regional brands (Gyproc, Placo®, Rigips, British Gypsum and CertainTeed) in order to service local needs. Gyproc is the brand used in the majority of countries and the one that is promoted in new markets. It is also the brand referred to in relation to the gypsum and ceilings activity of Saint-Gobain.
Gyproc was introduced to South Africa in 1929